SAB Profiel BV wishes to continually improve the quality of its products, processes and services in order to meet the ever higher requirements of customers, staff and society. Environmental aspects form an integral part of this, resulting in ISO 14001, BES 6001 and our own EPDs.
In this way, SAB contributes to the growing demand from the market for environmentally conscious production and construction. In the building sector, this is reflected by various environmental certifications, labels and assessment systems for buildings such as BREEAM.
SAB Profiel’s environmental policy is targeted at recognising environmental aspects, managing them, and where possible, reducing the environmentally impacting effects associated with the production of roof and wall profile panels and sandwich panels. Compliance with the applicable laws and regulations is a minimal departure point in this.
To permanently safeguard SAB’s environmental awareness, SAB has implemented an Environmental Management System to the standards of ISO 14001. The ISO 14001 we gained for this can be downloaded from the website. The BES 6001 certificate is also a unique one here. The spearheads of this, in line with those of our parent company Tata Steel, are:
- Sustainable production: in the environmental area, continue to invest in new or improved environmental plant, to improve air quality, reduce nuisance and waste and preserve nature.
- Energy efficiency and CO₂ emission per tonne of steel produced: further improvement in our performance through improvement of our processes and products and research into breakthrough technologies.
- Resource efficiency: the stock of raw materials is not inexhaustible and their availability is decreasing, so we wish to extract the maximum from our primary (ore and coke) and secondary (scrap) raw materials.
- Sustainable procurement: provide insight into where our primary income streams come from, under what circumstances they are obtained, extracted or processed, and to try to direct on this where necessary.
- Sustainable production and product development: define and publicise the sustainability performance of our products, reinforce the development of sustainable products and attempt to further close the recycling loop of our products.
Recently, SAB has come into possession of some EPDs/environmental product declarations, as well as some product group EPDs drafted by the European sector organisation PPA/EPAQ. Besides this, Tata Steel has its own EPDs for the various Colorcoat products. Particularly for BREEAM and LEED projects, these are all important documents to allow extra points to be gained. Please see the download page ISO, MRPI, EPAQ & CE Marking, EPD. For more background about EPDs, please visit the page with Frequently asked questions about EPDs.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Conscious and efficient use of energy is one of the spearheads of SAB’s environmental policy. Energy consumption is critically monitored and reported. Initiatives are taken to reduce energy consumption: optimisation of production processes for which energy is needed, and stimulation and improvement of the energy awareness of staff. Switching off machines during lunch/coffee breaks is an example of an energy reduction measure. Also, smart circuits for light and heating in offices and factories and reduction of heat losses. During replacement, energy efficient solutions are considered.
SAB has procured green power certificates, which means SAB’s total electricity demand is generated from renewable energy sources.
An important step towards carbon free production has been realised through the installation of a 1.8 MWp system on the roof of the new SAB production facility in Geldermalsen.
In recent years, SAB has already taken many steps towards sustainability. To achieve still more, we have started working with the CO2 performance ladder. You can find information about the CO₂ ladder at www.SKAO.nl. We regularly publish updates on this on our news page.
Auxiliary Source Usage and Waste Management
Our focus is on efficient production with minimal use of raw materials. Clear KPIs are defined concerning scrap production and the production of second choice products. These objectives are continuously monitored and adjusted downwards. In our factories, waste materials are collected separately and disposed of in a responsible way. Besides this, there are various LEAN projects aimed at the reduction of waste streams or the reuse of materials. Examples are the reduction of the thickness of steel plates, higher efficiency use of reels, and the return of reel packages.
SAB only consumes water for use in toilets and kitchens. Given that the consumption is minimal, there is no policy specifically targeted at water reduction.
Consequences of Transport
Transport effects are managed centrally within Tata Steel and, as such, it is not possible to split the transport effects connected with the production and supply of specific products from specific locations off from the total estimate of the transport effects of Tata Steel.
|Fresh water consumption
|Reused waste, recycled